InsightsFuture empowers sustainability organizations and initiatives to achieve trust in data so they can mitigate operating risks and accelerate their intended impacts.
A sustainability movement where data and information are drivers of success, value, and impact for the benefit of people and the planet.
My name is Ana Garzón, and I am a sustainability professional with more than twenty years of experience in non-profit management and sustainability. In the last decade, I have worked in operations and innovations management roles at Rainforest Alliance, the Sustainable Agriculture Network, and ISEAL Alliance to strengthen the systems and practices that support operational excellence, transparency, and digital innovation.
My fourteen-year journey in the voluntary standards certification sector has deepened my understanding of the evolving sustainability risk and innovations landscape. In my work inside quality assurance and data management systems, I have experienced firsthand the ways in which data and information impact operations, innovations opportunities, and risks.
Today data features more prominently as a core asset to support and protect the reputation and goals of sustainability initiatives. There has never been more demand for the information behind supply chain sustainability claims. Current global circumstances as a result of the pandemic are also accelerating the digital transformation that reveals growing pains as well as opportunities for sustainability initiatives.
However, many organizations still struggle to capture a compete picture of how their data assets are being collected, managed, and used to optimize decision making and manage risks. My focus on data governance aims to address this gap in operational practices supporting sustainability.
Addressing data management needs, opportunities, and painpoints requires practical systems and tools that exist within established practices such as data governance and risk management. Data governance connects the dots of data management efforts from database and IT management to monitoring and evaluation programs. It enables tracing of key data from source to value and across data stewards (handlers) and processes. The benefits of doing this well are more targeted decision-making and trusted intelligence that informs how organizations can adapt and change to deliver greater impact.
More on my background and experience
Past and current roles in support of sustainability organizations include multi-year project management, program operations implementation, digital assurance best practice development (training workshops, best practice guidance), and digital capacity-building for sustainability standards organizations.
- Data governance framework: Conceptualization, development, and testing of a framework to help sustainability standards manage data systematically and effectively in an era of increased scrutiny on data value and data privacy
- Data governance program development and review: Support for sustainability standards to apply data governance concepts and implement policies, processes, and tools to understand their key data from source to value.
- Benchmarking assessments and recognition programs: Support for sustainability standards in upgrading and updating their benchmarking assessment tools (standards and assurance systems) to inform their collaborations with other sustainability programs.
- Guidance notes on data management and data governance for sustainability standards: Curation of best practice concepts and tools that equip standards with practices and steps to enable traceability of data from source to value.
- ISEAL Alliance ‘Data Skills Lab’: Conceptualization and development of a suite of twelve online learning modules for sustainability standards to build data literacy
- Proposal of new ISEAL Alliance Assurance Code v2 requirements focused on data management and governance: These new requirements for data management by sustainability standards are now included in updated best practice for credible standards.
See highlights from my projects and work.